Eating right, exercising regularly and getting plenty of sleep are all very important to ensuring your internal mechanisms function properly and your outward appearance is a reflection of these functions. Many cultures around the world are known for having the most beautiful hair, flawless skin or a vibrant glow. What’s their secret? Antioxidant rich foods! Many foods that are a staple part of these cultures have not made the mainstream in the United States, but you can capture this beauty and defy the aging process, by making these favorites from around the world part of your daily intake.
- Coconut oil – Three to four teaspoons of coconut oil per day can reap serious benefits. The combination of lauric acid, capric acid, caprylic acid and multiple antioxidant, antimicrobial, antifungal and antibacterial properties make this delightfully-scented oil beneficial for the hair, skin, bone density and stress management.
- Ginger – Ginger contains an active ingredient known as gingerol, which is notorious for its anti-inflammatory properties. Gingerol has been proven in studies to inhibit highly reactive oxidants within the body as well as stimulate blood flow to skin, resulting in a more vibrant, rosy appearance
- Guanaba – Guanaba, a prickly fruit that originates from the Caribbean, has a reputation for curbing cravings and aiding in weight management.
- Black cumin seeds –This seed is notorious for numerous healing properties, but when it comes to anti-aging, black cumin is a powerful antioxidant. Just a few of the benefits include improving the condition of the hair and skin as well as improving digestion and body tone.
- Grape seed extract – The women of France are known for their beauty, and grape seed extract may be the reason. To reap the powerful antioxidant benefits of grapes (including slowing the aging process), you would have to eat at least 1 pound of grapes per day! However, 50 mg capsules of the extract, are equally as effective and without all the extra calories.
And, of course, always drink lots of water! This is one beauty tip that is no secret, but not practiced religiously by everyone. Drinking plenty of water each day is not just about looking good – your body is 60 percent water – without sufficient amounts, your physiological pathways do not function effectively. Not to mention, your body will pull water from wherever it needs to, like your skin, leaving you looking dry and hollow.